Saturday, October 16, 2010

Random Inspirations


Raizah, originally uploaded by sofia_olga.
"Sensitive people faced with the prospect of a camera portrait put on a face they think is one they would like to show the world. ...Very often what lies behind the facade is rare and more wonderful than the subject knows or dares to believe." -Irving Penn, 1975.

For nearly a month now, I've been doing a themed daily challenge cooked up by a fellow blipper (one who posts "blips" at blipfoto.com). Today's challenge was "Portrait." Although I'm not that good at it yet, portraiture is one of the genres I love because I so enjoy the challenges and the pleasures of interacting with the subject. Needless to say, I was excited and at the same time slightly nervous in pulling off today's theme.

I feel quite fortunate to have met several wonderful people earlier who were willing subjects. 
First one I met was Manong Luis, the puto/kutsinta vendor I photographed a couple of months ago and whose photo belongs to my Street Project. I almost didn't recognize him because he wasn't wearing a cap and he seems to know how to smile and laugh now, (peace Manong. :D). 
Then I met Aling Nelly, a keychain vendor for almost 10 years now at Burnham Park. I heard her humming while she was busy labeling her wares so I dared to ask if I could take her photo. She smiled and told me I was welcome to do so. 
Finally, I met Aling Raizah here. I saw her laughing with a fellow vendor so I gathered my guts again and asked her permission to be photographed. Thank goodness she said yes too. :)

No comments: